Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Darcys and The Bingleys by Marsha Altman


Just reading the book description I cringed at the words "Kama Sutra" I had a difficult time mixing that with Jane Austen's characters. I just couldn't see Mr. Darcy actually owning that book, let alone giving it to Mr. Bingley. I felt like I was reading with one eye open hoping and praying that it wasn't going to turn into a trashy romance novel. I despise trashy romance novels.

The book could have easily done without the kama sutra, Altman's characters and storyline would have been able to hold itself up without it. I wasn't a fan of the first half of the book, but the second half really brought me in. The introduction of new characters and a lot of mystery and adventure kept me from putting the book down. I grew to love Altman's vision of what happened after Pride & Prejudice ended.

All in all, this was a fun read and probably one of the more entertaining Pride & Prejudice sequels out there. There were some definite laugh-out-loud moments, and I felt as though Altman was keeping us readers on our toes.

I would recommend this to any open-minded Austen fans.

-Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment